It may be tempting to buy fasteners directly from manufacturers strictly based on piece price, but before you commit to a source, keep in mind some of the benefits of using a good distributor.
Benefits of Using a Distributor
- Volumes – Most manufacturers have MOQs (minimum order quantities) of 2,000 pounds per order. Fasteners are produced from coils of steel, which are generally 2,000 pounds in weight. Splitting a coil is not cost effective, so MOQs are established. Distribution often buys the larger lot sizes of standard parts and may stock them for re-selling in smaller quantities.
- Packaging – Distributors are often more flexible on package types and quantities. For the best pricing, many manufacturers prefer to ship in bulk containers which require repackaging.
- Delivery – Scheduled delivery quantities and dates may be negotiated rather than bulk shipments.
- Stocking – Many distributors offer programs to bring the fasteners right to your assembly line and monitor your inventory for you.
- Design Help – A good distributor will have fastener experts on staff that can help design engineers select the proper fasteners, troubleshoot problems with assembly, and make recommendations for cost savings.
If you are not getting the support you need from your fastener supplier, contact us at ProvenProductivity@bossard.com.