We know you have all experienced the loosening of fasteners at some point in your career…but have you received any good tips on how to prevent it from happening? Bossard is here to help. We have come up with a few pointers to help you solve this problem.
A little loosening is inevitable. There is constant wear and tear on parts over time, no matter how strong they are. We have highlighted a few scenarios that explain how loosening happens below:
- Static loosening: Loosening occurs because of the relaxation of a joint (loss of clamp load)
- Rotational loosening: As fasteners rotate, due to slippage in the interfaces of joint members, it can become loose and can become a problem
- Loss: When the fastener is under constant vibration, nuts and bolts slack off until it eventually separates from the base
Here at Bossard, we believe that there is a solution to every problem, and we would like to help you solve that problem. Check out these ways to prevent loosening:
- To prevent loosening from occurring, increase the stiffness of the clamped parts or make your fastener more flexible. For maximum hold, the following parts are useful: a flange screw, a hardened washer, or a spring washer (Belleville).
- To prevent rotational loosening, try using the following items: a locking adhesive, a thread forming screw, a Nord-Lock® washer, a serrated/corrugated flange, a rib lock washer, or a locking nut.
Do you have questions about how to prevent loosening? Contact us anytime at ProvenProductivity@bossard.com. We want our customers to have the best experience with products provided to you by Bossard.
Check out our other blogs to find out more about our products and to learn more about our company. You can subscribe to get regular updates and tips from us at Bossard. Discover new parts and solutions by scrolling through the rest of our website.
How to Prevent Loosening by Bossard